Editor’s Note: Catching up.

When winter break rolls around, all you want to do after a series of mind-numbing finals and long days at work is to cut yourself off from your normal world.

It’s healthy to toss out the router and disconnect from the Internet, kick back with a good book and eat some home-cooked food.

But spring semester arrives quickly, and you’ve got to get back in the swing of things. You’ve got friends to catch up with and decisions to make about classes, internships and studying abroad.

This issue is about catching up with all that the Berkeley world has to offer.

Inside, you’ll find a meditation on this season’s Oscar contenders, news on UC funding, Instagram photos of travels abroad and at home, as well as the latest updates with Cal basketball. Also, don’t miss our online specials, including a preview of the Noise Pop music festival and a video capturing a road trip from coast to coast.

Catching up is always a process. Hopefully, this issue helps you get a little closer to the latest happenings.

—Kelly Fang

The Daily Cal Instagram contest winners

Find out who the winners of The Daily Cal Instagram are and scroll through their submissions.

Cinema Unchained

A roundup of this winter’s hottest movies reveals a a somber trend for Oscar contenders.

Winter Sports Recap

Find out how the Cal men’s and women’s basketball team are doing after their winter break games and get caught up with the latest news on Cal Football.