Oakland man arrested after alleged stabbing Friday

An Oakland man was arrested for allegedly stabbing a man Friday, according to Berkeley police.

Last Friday at around 4:40 p.m., Berkeley Police Department officers responded to a report of a stabbing in the 2100 block of Haste Street near Shattuck Avenue.

Upon arriving at the scene, Berkeley police officers found an adult male suffering from a stab wound, according to Officer Jennifer Coats, spokesperson for Berkeley Police Department.

The victim had been walking home with a friend when the suspect allegedly confronted him. The incident appears to be a random attack, and there is no currently known association between the victim and the suspect, according to Coats.

The suspect is described as a 33-year-old male from nearby Oakland, identified as Ayo Hogue, Coats said. She said that Hogue was found near Durant Avenue and Ellsworth Street during the police investigation. Hogue was then arrested on suspicion of assaulting the victim.

The victim is described as a 21-year-old male and a Berkeley resident, Coats said. She added that Berkeley police do not know if there is any affiliation between the victim and UC Berkeley. The victim’s name is also currently not available for release to the public.

The victim had been transported to a local hospital for medical care but had sustained injuries that were not life-threatening, Coats said. It is yet unknown if the victim is still in the hospital, she added.

The investigation is currently ongoing.

Jaehak Yu is a news editor. Contact him at [email protected]