Alleged Berkeley Mechanics Bank robber arrested in Missouri

The man who allegedly robbed Mechanics Bank on Solano Avenue in January has been arrested.

James Craig Davis, 33, of San Pablo, was arrested on Jan. 22 for the alleged robbery of Mechanics Bank with a handgun on Jan. 16, according to a recent Berkeley Police Department press release. A suspect allegedly targeted the Mechanics Bank branch located at 1801 Solano Ave. early in the morning after the bank had just opened that day for business.

Berkeley police then promptly arrived on the scene shortly after receiving a phone call regarding the bank robbery at 9:26 a.m. Berkeley police officers have determined that the suspect entered the bank, displayed his gun to the bank teller, and then demanded money.

The suspect, however, was able to flee from the bank before the police arrived on the scene. The suspect fled with an undisclosed amount of money from the bank, according to the press release.

BPD robbery detectives were able to immediately obtain bank security photos of the suspect and then distributed them to other law enforcement agencies in the region, the press release stated. Within a day of the distribution, a deputy sheriff of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office then notified the Berkeley Police Department that he recognized the suspect.

After later identifying the suspect, Berkeley detectives obtained an arrest warrant, which was then entered into the state and national databases on Jan. 22.

On the same day, a deputy sheriff encountered Davis during a traffic stop in Platte County, Mo. The deputy then placed Davis in custody and notified BPD. Davis has since been extradited to California.

Jaehak Yu is a news editor. Contact him at [email protected].