Flashback Friday: Tamagotchi Revival!

tama

It seems like nostalgia is a straight up market trend these days. Sure it’s everywhere, but with the kinds of nostalgia that’s been showing up recently (i.e. the return of the Powerpuff Girls) it’s most certainly hard to resist. But seeing as we college kids love it so much, we have decided here at the Clog to start a new series called “Flashback Friday” where we’ll be showcasing lovely bits of nostalgia that date back to the days of yesteryear — sometimes in the form of a revival or just a straight up trip down memory lane. Anyway, what are we doing wasting your time, let’s get this underway!

This week’s massive nostalgia bomb comes in the form of the classic toy line Tamagotchi! A company known as Beatz Entertainment recently announced that it will be bringing back the old toy brand in the form of a mobile phone app called Tamagotchi: L.I.F.E (Love is Fun Everywhere).

Oh Tamagotchi, now who doesn’t remember the bleeps and bloops of raising a pet that wasn’t actually real? Not a moment goes by where we don’t fondly remember having to clean up after its virtual poop and raising it to become a healthy and mature adult. Back in the day, Tamagotchi taught us valuable skills as developing children. For one, it built early motherly/fatherly skills! Well, sort of. Regardless, it was nice way to access the responsibility of being a parent even if the way it was done was through a tiny portable key chain sized toy that housed an infant 8-bit non-existent digital creature.

Now it might be a bit much to have to manage the life of another virtual creature what with the responsibility of school on our plates. But come on, how long has it been since the last time you had to raise a newborn Tamagotchi? Y’know, they sometimes say that the call of parenthood comes when you least expect it. So definitely give this app a shot when it drops later this year. However, we might not recommend it if you have too much going on. After all, virtual parenthood is a huge responsibility and should be taken very seriously!

Image source: quimby under Creative Commons