Man dies after being taken into police custody

Authorities are investigating the death of a 41-year-old man who died after being taken into custody by Berkeley Police Department for an involuntary psychiatric hold Tuesday.

Officers were called to the Gaia Building apartment complex on the 2000 block of Allston Way after receiving calls about a person with possible mental health issues, according to a statement from BPD. When officers arrived at the scene, they spoke with the reporting party, who directed them to the suspect’s nearby residence.

The suspect became agitated when officers attempted to talk to him, and a struggle ensued, the press statement continues.

“(He) became increasingly agitated and uncooperative to the officer’s verbal commands and began to scream and violently resist,” according to the statement. “After struggling with officers, they were able to gain control of the subject and place him in restraints.”

Residents of the complex reported commotion on the fifth floor of the building before the officers arrived on the scene.

The man continued to struggle with the officers after being placed in restraints. Due to the man’s large stature, police officers called Berkeley Fire Department in for support and a gurney to transport the subject.

After the man was loaded onto the gurney, officers noticed he was not breathing and immediately performed CPR. He was then transported to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

The identity of the man has not yet been released, and the incident was reported to the Alameda County’s District Attorney’s Office.

The coroner’s office is currently not commenting on the incident.

Andy Nguyen is the lead crime reporter. Contact him at [email protected].