Win hearts with homemade chocolate truffles

Aaron Kitchin/Staff

Aaron Kitchin/Staff

Aaron Kitchin/Staff

Aaron Kitchin/Staff

It’s Valentine’s Day, and what’s more romantic than making your significant other a delicious homemade dessert?

Chocolate truffles are deceivingly simple to make. In their most basic form, truffles require only two ingredients: heavy cream and chocolate. Since these are the only two ingredients, don’t skimp too much on quality, and consider using a semi-sweet to dark chocolate.

Start with a ratio of about two cups of chocolate to one cup of cream, adjusting this ratio depending on how firm you want your ganache to set. The more liquid you add, the creamier and less firm the finished truffles will be.

Heat the cream to a near-boil in a saucepan or with a microwave. Pour heated cream over the chopped chocolate and stir to melt.

Flavor options can vary as much as you want. You can infuse the cream while it’s being heated with fresh herbs and spices, or you can add powdered spices like cinnamon to the melted ganache. A little alcohol can be a nice touch, too, particularly brandy or citrus liqueurs. Dress the truffles to your heart’s content, and remember, the only rule is that it has to taste good. A dash of salt can also do wonders to heightening the sweetness and richness of your finished product.

What you have now is a chocolate ganache base. Refrigerate it for a few hours until it becomes significantly solid, then roll small portions into balls and dust them in cocoa powder or anything else you see fit such as chopped nuts or shredded coconut.

Significant other or not, homemade chocolate truffles are great for any occasion.