Hitchcock on display at the Pacific Film Archive

4707087976_10a23385fd_o

Imagine the following scenario: A woman goes to take a shower in her room at an isolated roadside motel. Nothing wrong with that, except for the fact that something fishy always seems to happen at those kinds of establishments — especially if there’s a young, naked, single woman involved. Sure enough, after she splashes around in the hot water for few moments, the shower curtain is ripped aside, and to the soundtrack of screeching violins, the woman faces an unpleasant surprise in the form of the deranged mother of the owner of the motel.

Starting to ring a bell?

If not, you’ve probably missed out on one of the best-known scenes in all of cinema history: the legendary “Shower Scene” in Alfred Hitchcock’s movie “Psycho.” Although it may make you a little uneasy about ever showering again (that is, without locking the bathroom door with a reinforced steel chain and double padlocks), this really is a movie gem that you want to make sure you’ve seen. On that note, we can’t really think of a lot of Hitchcock movies that aren’t worth watching.

Luckily, the Pacific Film Archives has got our backs. From now through April, the PFA is running a series on Alfred Hitchcock featuring a selection of films that span the entire career of the “Old Master.” Among the Clog’s favorites on the movie roster are classics such as “Vertigo” — recently voted best film of all time and featuring dazzling images of San Francisco — and “The Birds” — although this film does have a tendency of making us feel the same way about winged creatures as “Psycho” makes us feel about showering. Check out a full list of movies and times here.

A wise man once said, “A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it.” This wise man was of course none other than Sir Alfred Hitchcock himself, and, if nothing else, the Clog can guarantee that the price of the theater admission (a meager $5.50 for students) will be well worth it.

Image source: klimari1 under Creative Commons