Classic sci-fi author Ursula K. Le Guin to speak at Berkeley

-1

Science fiction has generally been the domain of male authors, but Ursula K. Le Guin has established herself as one of the greatest science fiction writers, raising the genre into literature. She is mentioned in the same breath as Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert.

Born and raised in Berkeley, it’s hardly surprising that she would be giving a talk here at our prestigious University, with its prestigious English program. Many of us at the Clog are English majors — and many fans of science fiction — so this opportunity to hear her speak hits us right in our nerdy hearts.

Many consider science fiction to be pulp, but Ursula is responsible for bringing complicated considerations of gender roles, morality and social and psychological identities into the genre. Not only that, but she is an incredibly engaging and compelling writer.

As author of the award-winning “Earthsea” series and the Hugo and Nebula award-winning novels “The Left Hand of Darkness” and “The Dispossessed,” this is one talk that any fan of literature should not miss.

She will be speaking on Tuesday, Feb. 26, at 7 p.m. in the Sibley Auditorium in the Bechtel Engineering Center.

Image source: OnceAndFutureLaura and cdrummbks under Creative Commons