Man who died in police custody identified

UPDATE: Though authorities identified the individual as Xavier Christopher Moore, Moore was a transgendered individual who identified as Kayla Moore.

A man who died after being detained by Berkeley police officers on Feb. 12 has been identified by authorities.

A technician from the Alameda County Coroner’s Office has confirmed that the man was 41-year-old Xavier Christopher Moore.

On the date of his death, officers were called to the Gaia Building apartment complex on the 2000 block of Allston Way after receiving calls about a person with possible mental health issues, according to a statement from BPD.

Residents of the complex reported that they heard a commotion on the fifth floor of the building before officers arrived.

When officers came to the scene, they spoke with the reporting party, who directed them to Moore’s residence.

Moore became agitated when officers attempted to talk to him, and a struggle ensued.

“(He) became increasingly agitated and uncooperative to the officer’s verbal commands and began to scream and violently resist,” according to the statement. “After struggling with officers, they were able to gain control of the subject and place him in restraints.”

Moore continued to struggle with officers after being placed in restraints. Authorities then had to call Berkeley Fire Department in for a gurney to transport Moore due to his large stature, according to the statement.

After being loaded onto the gurney, officers noticed that Moore was not breathing and began to perform CPR. He was then transported to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

As the incident is still under investigation, Moore’s cause of death is being withheld, according to Officer Jennifer Coats, spokesperson for Berkeley Police Department.

Andy Nguyen is the lead crime reporter. Contact him at anguyen@dailycal.org.