Cal Track and Field demonstrates Bear athleticism

Speed

We know, no one really follows track and field all that closely. It’s not exactly a team sport, since the team scores are just the sum of the individual sports. But while track and field is a not a team sport, it is the epitome of athletic prowess. And Cal’s athletes are powerful and getting even better.

This time last year at the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation meet at the University of Washington, the Cal track and field team patted itself on the back for a few notable finishes.

Then junior (now senior) Deborah Maier placed a meet record of 3000 meters in 9:02.35, and then-senior Chelsea Reilly set a Cal record with a 4:41.29 mile. On the men’s track team, Collin Jarvis made a personal record in the 3000 meters to take fourth place in his event. Overall, the Cal men placed 10th, while the women finished sixth. This was last year, and while it was certainly nothing to be ashamed of, it was also nothing to write home about. 

This year was not like last year.

On Friday and Saturday in Seattle, a whole list of Cal track athletes performed well enough to take the men’s team to third place, and the women, although they only got eighth place, had more than a couple of top five finishes.

Ray Stewart, having already set a school record in the 60-meter hurdles, lost to Oregon’s Johnathan Cabral by 0.01 seconds. You should have seen his face when he found out.

Taylor Kientzel placed second in the triple jump, while Rick Ridge tied for fourth in the men’s high jump and Hammed Suleman placed fourth in the triple jump. These fellas have hops.

The females are also showing off their abilities. On the women’s track team, three top-five finishes included Kelsey Santisteban, who placed third overall on Cal’s roster, beat out only by Reilly and Maier, who, as we saw, did extremely well at the same meet last year.

The Bears are on the right path, and if they continue moving in this direction, next Saturday’s meet at Stanford will truly be something to shove in the Cardinal’s face.

Photo Source : ptufts, under Creative Commons