10 random facts about Commencement speaker Steve Wozniak

6644931541_73e5b7b520_o-675x450

The “Wizard of Wozillia” will return to his alma mater this May as keynote speaker for the 2013 Commencement ceremony. Bam, that’s Berkeley. You all know about Woz, Steve Jobs and Apple and how the entire modern era of computers is basically a footnote of their work. But did you know that Woz invented the first universal programmable remote control? Or that he survived a plane crash? Here are 10 things you probably never knew about the legend, Steve Wozniak.

He has his own category on Jeopardy! For $1,000: “Woz was the creator of this ’80s event that brought music fans out to see an all-star lineup”

He competed on Dancing with the Stars. As far as we know, he is the only person who can pull off the cha-cha-cha in a pink feather boa.

He dated Kathy Griffin. Did you know that the ever-naughty female counterpart to Anderson Cooper’s New Year’s Eve Live romanced Woz? Here he is on her show in a bear convention.

He cameoed on Big Bang Theory. And called Sheldon a nerd. Major swag.

He is a third-degree Freemason. National Treasure profiled it. He’s on par with 14 Presidents, Mozart and Bach.

He has four patents, 10 honorary doctorates of engineering and was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame. He’s is listed next to the Wright Brothers, Walt Disney, Edison and Tesla. That’s Berkeley.

He has a street named after him. Woz Way is located in San Jose, the capital of the Silicon Valley

He gave a Game Boy to President H.W. Bush. Woz also scored 702,000 playing Tetris on his Game Boy.

He graduated UC Berkeley in 1986 as an EECS major. That’s not easy to do.

He is a really good friend. We cried when he talked about Steve Jobs too.

Image Source: The DEMO Conference under Creative Commons