Five Quality Tracks: February

At the end of each month, I’ll be posting a feature highlighting five quality tracks released during that month. We continue with February 2013.

February saw a slew of new albums and singles. There’s new and invigorating music being released on the daily! Here are five songs from this past month, all neatly aggregated for your sonic consumption.

1. The Strokes: “All the Time”
The Strokes are back! And in timely fashion, finally. “All the Time” is classic Strokes: a slouching, probably sunglasses-donning Julian Casablancas singing along to tightly wound guitars, with an added dash of 1990s vibes for good measure.

2. Kurt Vile: “Wakin On a Pretty Day”
This song clocks in at over nine minutes, but don’t let that detract you from pressing play. It’s a breezy, calm, meaningful and gorgeous nine minutes.

3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: “Sacrilege”
Karen O’s voice is compelling enough to render all other voices pointless. As she sings over a very Moby/Bourne Identity-ish groove, the listener is completely drawn in. But then, a multitude of voices in the form of a gospel choir descend upon “Sacrilege.” Guess those “other voices” aren’t so pointless if they make a song this epic.

4. Drake: “Started From the Bottom”
Let me just start by saying this: the beat on this track is SICK. It is guaranteed to get you pumped as you dwell on how you overcame those rough adolescent years in a wheelchair on Degrassi. Really though, I don’t mean to poke fun, because if a triumphant “eff you” to the haters is what inspires Drake to spit out a track like this, then keep it coming.

5. Darwin Deez: “Redshift”
Heartfelt hipster pop for the soul. Darwin Deez, complete with curly locks and four-string guitar, threw us some catchy hooks on his self-titled debut (“Up In the Clouds” is outstanding). While his second album, Songs for Imaginative People, is not as pleasing to the ear, “Redshift” is a slow-burning gem with a great melody.

Contact David Bradford at [email protected].