UC Berkeley places fifth in worldwide reputation rankings

crowdedness.tony_zhou
Tony Zhou/File

UC Berkeley is one of the five most reputable universities in the world according to a recent rankings report published by Times Higher Education Monday.

UC Berkeley placed fifth among 100 universities in a worldwide ranking based on reputation. While Berkeley moved down from number four in 2011, it retained its spot among the top five universities that include Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford.

“UC Berkeley has been consistently ranked among the top tier universities nationwide and worldwide and we are proud of that accomplishment,” said campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore in an email. “At a time when funding to public higher education has slipped, it’s an important reminder that the quality of the research conducted here and the education that students gain here remains among the very best in the world.”

According to a Times Higher Education report, the rankings were based on the nominations of around 16,000 peer-reviewed academics around the world who each selected the 15 best institutions in their field of expertise.

UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau said in an analysis of Times Higher Education’s ranking that the campus’s reputation is strengthened by the close relationship between its administration and faculty members.

“There is a strong partnership between the senior administration and the faculty leadership, with outstanding researchers and teachers involving themselves in the governance of the university,” Birgeneau said in an article published along with the rankings. “The academic administrators, from the deans to the provost and chancellor, are all themselves highly accomplished scholars and teachers.”

UC Berkeley also beat Bay Area rival Stanford University, which placed sixth in this year’s rankings.

“We are glad we have had a relationship of friendly competition throughout the years, and I don’t see that changing in the near future,” said Senator Viraj Bindra of the Associated Students of Stanford University.

UC Berkeley has continued to rank high in recent years, consistently maintaining a position in the top five since 2011 despite experiencing state budget cuts and tuition hikes.

“Given what’s happened to tuition and our budget, I think (the ranking) speaks volumes about the leadership (at Berkeley) and how people are able to get through difficult times,” said ASUC External Affairs Vice President Shahryar Abbasi. “It shows how Berkeley can stay strong.”

Contact Tara Hurley at [email protected].