UC Riverside student government asks University of California to divest from Israeli companies

UC Riverside’s student government passed a resolution Wednesday night asking the University of California to divest from companies profiting off alleged war crimes in Israel.

The UC San Diego student government also discussed a divestment resolution at its weekly meeting Wednesday night but tabled its version of the bill until next week.

UC Riverside’s resolution passed by a two-thirds majority, with 11 senators in support. A similar bill was introduced at UC Berkeley in 2010, causing national outcry from pro-Israeli groups both on campus and nationwide.

ASUC President Connor Landgraf acknowledged the issue’s presence on UC Berkeley’s campus but declined to comment on how the actions taken at UCSD and UC Riverside may affect divestment at UC Berkeley.

“I’m not really sure what the fallout will be,” Landgraf said. “There have definitely been murmurs of divestment (at UC Berkeley), but it remains to be seen how those pan out and what effect the UCSD resolution will have here.”

ASUC Senator Sadia Saiffudin said that she supports UC Riverside’s divestment move and would like to see similar action at UC Berkeley.

“I think that it will also open the doors to communication from all sides of the conversation,” she said in an email. “I think there will be a lot of dialogue about what it means to divest from a conflict zone and how students on campus are (affected) by these issues. It is time that we hold the UC Regents accountable to where our money and fees are invested.”

DJ Sellarole covers the ASUC. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @DJSellarole.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the UC Riverside resolution asked the University of California to divest from Israeli companies. In fact, the resolution asked the university to divest from companies profiting off alleged war crimes in Israel.