Your guide to Spring Menswear 2013

Salvatore Ferragamo

Raf Simons

Color Blocking
Salvatore Ferragamo’s heart-racing spring runway was inspired by “vitamins,” according to creative director Massimiliano Giornetti. Injecting his collection with every color from turquoise to tangerine to lemon yellow, the vibrant shades set a trend for bold color-blocking. Raf Simons, Moschino, J.W. Anderson and Mugler similarly chose to drench their collections in color, with yellow being the standout tone for the season.
Lived-in Slim Khaki in Tile Blue, $59.95, Gap

Orange Sports Jacket, $99, H&M

Filson Red Label Zippered Tote Bag in Yellow, $140, Unionmade

Lightweight Shirt in Pale Aqua, $64.50, J. Crew

Acne

Givenchy
Nontraditional Prints
Traditional prints were given a new look on spring’s runways. Nautical stripes were brought up to date at Acne, while Balenciaga and Christopher Kane offered digital manipulations of florals. As is his signature, Richard Tisci covered his spring collection for Givenchy with religious imagery, featuring shirts printed with the fragmented face of the Madonna.
Floral sweatshirt, $59.90, Zara

Bold stripe t-shirt, $89.38, Acne

Orange print shorts, $160, Topman Design

Mother Mary tank top, $28, Urban Outfitters

Guadalupe allover tee, $32, Urban Outfitters

Alexander Wang

Dolce and Gabbana

Fifties American Sportswear
Many designers looked to the sporting arena for inspiration this season, and the influence of ’50s American sportswear was prominent on spring’s runways, from the oversized baseball shirts at Alexander Wang to the baseball bomber jackets at Versace, Givenchy and Dolce & Gabbana. Baseball jackets are a key trend for spring, and there is no lack of affordable options. As this is a vintage-inspired look, it’s worth searching through vintage clothing stores to look for the real deal, but there were also modern alterations to the classic style this season. For spring, the baseball jacket is revamped in metallics or rich satin. The silhouette can vary from the structured styles seen at Versace to puffy shapes to more minimalist cuts.
Wool jacket, $155, American Apparel

Satin Charmeuse jacket in Burgundy, $45, American Apparel

Reclaimed Vintage jacket, $84.78, Asos

Raf Simons

Raf Simons

Statement Trainers
Statement trainers are the top footwear trend for spring 2013. Raf Simons contrasted trainers with formal wear for his spring show, pairing them with both suits and shorts and demonstrating how they can be adapted for everyday casual wear or with smarter outfits. The statement trainer was prominent again on the fall/winter runways, so it’s a trend worth investing in for next season, too. Simons has designed a range for Adidas, which will be coming out in July, but for now, Nike has a great selection to get you out of your Sperrys.
New Balance 574, $74.99, Nike (in black, purple and orange)

Free Run + 3, $99.99, Nike (in black and reflective grey)

DVN

CDG

Kenzo

Alternative Camo
Love it or hate it, camouflage print is huge this spring — but not as we’re used to it. Dries van Noten has taken the most traditionally macho print and given it a makeover, offering digitally reworked prints, sometimes transforming it into an almost leopard print. This nontraditional camo lends itself to a more elegant masculinity. Layering camouflage prints with chiffon shirts and overprinted lace, the collection was a triumphant revamping of a tired trend. Comme des Garcons features faded versions of the camo print, while Kenzo offers more colorful renderings. Alternative camo can be worn in bold statement pieces or applied as a neutral base, as it can be adapted to work with pretty much anything.
Camo Military Chino, $59, Urban Outfiterrs

Herschel Supply Co. Backpack, $55, Urban Outfitters

Printed Shorts, $90, Keenkee

Printed Polo Shirt, $100, Keenkee

Contact Meadhbh McGrath at [email protected].