Ann’s Kitchen may see changes under new ownership

anns.kay_yang
Kay Yang/Staff

Telegraph’s Ann’s Kitchen may be getting a makeover this summer after recently acquiring a new owner.

Joshu-ya Brasserie chef and owner Jason Kwon purchased Ann’s about a month ago and is thinking about revamping the restaurant and changing its name to “The Bleecker Street Bistro.” Ann’s, a popular Berkeley breakfast and brunch destination known for its sizable portions at student-friendly prices, lies just a couple of doors down from Kwon’s upscale sushi joint on Dwight Way.

Under Kwon’s purview, the restaurant has changed little so far. The only changes to speak of are that the restaurant is now host to several new menu boards and that it has extended its open hours by three hours until 8 p.m.

Although the crimson banners outside the diner still read “Ann’s Kitchen,” several customers who frequent the restaurant noticed that their credit card statements now read “The Bleecker Bistro.”

Yet, as of now, the name change is the only thing that Kwon has decided upon. There is no new menu, target clientele or design change to speak of at this point in time, said Kwon’s publicist, Tom Walton.

“He likes what Ann’s is, as it caters to a different portion of the community,” Walton said, comparing Ann’s clientele to that of Joshu-ya. “While he might use some of his culinary expertise to add some items to the menu, we really don’t know yet.”

The purported name change has generated some buzz within the community about when and to what extent changes at Ann’s will occur. The consensus among Ann’s customers is that, regardless of any changes Kwon might make, they want the breakfast menu to remain the one they know and love.

“Breakfast is like the best thing going here,” said UC Berkeley junior Bryce Dewees, who frequents Ann’s. “I hope it doesn’t change too much.”

Megan Messerly covers city government. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @meganmesserly.