Fixing the rainy day blues: One-minute chocolate cake

Aaron Kitchin/Staff
Delicious chocolate cake is only a minute away.

Every once in a while, I come home between classes and feel an intense craving for chocolate cake. But what am I to do when I only have half an hour to satisfy this craving? I could have planned for this craving ahead of time and made a chocolate cake the night before, but who has the time for that? What I do have is about a minute, which brings us to the approximately one-minute microwave chocolate mug cake.

My favorite mug cake recipe comes from made from scratch. This recipe works well because it doesn’t include eggs. Many mug cake recipes will call for an egg, but that’s a bit excessive, considering one would normally use about two eggs to make a whole batch of cupcakes. Eggs, when microwaved, also have a tendency to overcook, which would give the cake an undesirable spongelike texture.

The mise en place, or setup, for this cake is, well, a piece of cake. All you need is a microwavable coffee mug, some measuring spoons and a few ingredients:

All of the dry ingredients go right into your mug. No muss, no fuss.

Dry Ingredients
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking powder
A pinch of salt

Wet Ingredients
2 tbsp. milk (regular, almond, soy, etc.)
1 tbsp. oil (a neutral-flavor oil such as canola or vegetable)

First, mix the dry ingredients in your mug. Then add the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.

This is where you can get creative — you can add chocolate chips, nuts, really anything you want, but what is truly delicious is a dollop of peanut butter, caramel or Nutella in the middle so that you have a gooey, molten center to dig into.

Now you’re ready to bake. Pop the mug into the microwave on high for one minute. If it looks like it needs a bit more time, do so in five-second increments. When it’s done, let it cool and enjoy.

Contact Aaron Kitchin at [email protected]ycal.org.