Taylor Swift reaches out to girl injured by crossbow arrow

taylorswift.COURTESY
avrilllllla/Flickr/Courtesy

A girl shot with an arrow last Tuesday morning near the UC Berkeley’s Lawrence Hall of Science will receive a care package from country-pop superstar Taylor Swift.

After being struck on her left thigh by a crossbow arrow while climbing on a play structure, 8-year-old Nadine Hairston kept calm by singing Taylor Swift songs with her teacher from minutes after she was shot until she arrived at the hospital.

Support in the Bay Area for Nadine has been massive. Cards, flowers, toys, food, clothing and a stuffed bunny have been delivered to her school in Marinwood, where she is enrolled as a third-grader.

Nadine’s story mobilized a huge response from fans and local media, who urged Swift to reach out to the child. Twitter users joined the campaign for #bravenadine.

In a statement to Mercury News, Alicia Hairston, the girl’s mother, said a representative for Swift called the hospital while she was there with her daughter earlier this week.

“It’s gonna be a package, that’s all I know,” said Hairston, who has “absolutely no idea” what type of gift is coming to her daughter from the pop musician.

According to her mother, Nadine is feeling “amazing” and is already back to her regular life.

“Don’t take it out of context, but if it’s going to happen, it happened to the right child,” Hairston said of the incident in a statement to the San Francisco Chronicle. “She’s just an amazing child. She’s always been remarkably resilient and courageous and brave.”

Police still do not know who fired the arrow or why it was fired, and investigation is still under way. Nadine’s family is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the assailant. Anyone with information is asked to call UCPD at (510) 642-6760.

Contact Mia Shaw at [email protected].