A guide to Berkeley park life

parks

With the fantastic weather we’ve been having lately, parks are a great place to go to relax, soak up the sun and even get some studying done. Why force  yourself into a stuffy library on a nice day when you might as well kick it on the grass outside? The Clog’s here to provide you with a guide to some of the awesome parks of Berkeley!

1. People’s Park

Lively. Eclectic. Colorful. Everyone’s got his or her own take on People’s Park. Is it a good place to post out with a few hours worth of peaceful reading in mind? Probably not so much. But an afternoon spent here is bound to be far from boring.

2. Willard Park

Located on Hillegass Avenue and Derby Street, Willard Park is the main neighborhood park in southeast Berkeley. On sunny days, it draws a mixture of students, families and dog owners. On that note, if you’re not huge on canines this might not be the right spot for you — we can guarantee that at some point you are likely to be visited by a four-legged friend looking for a back rub.

3. Live Oak Park

The hidden gem of Northside.  Tucked into a huge oak grove with a trickling stream running through it, Live Oak Park feels like a hundred miles away from the bustle of campus. Plus, it’s literally up the street from Cheese Board, a location that’s pretty hard to beat. Grab a slice and soak up some nature. You deserve a break.

4. Memorial Glade

The campus “park” is a great spot to sit down to catch a breather between classes and do some people-watching. If you’re there at the right time, you might be able to catch the Cal Quidditch team practicing. Just be sure to keep an eye out for erratic Frisbees, thrown by people who supposedly “know what they’re doing.”

Do you have any favorite parks (or, at the very least, grassy areas) in Berkeley that we didn’t mention? Let us know in the comments!

Image source: charlottel under Creative Commons

Contact Corrine Platten at [email protected]