We spy: Gandalf and Captain Jean-Luc Picard making a Berkeley stop this summer

Sir Ian McKellen
Sir Ian McKellen

Captain Jean-Luc Picard from “Star Trek: The Next Generation” and Gandalf from “Lord of the Rings” are coming to Bear country, and no, we’re sorry to say that they are not showing up on the USS Enterprise to protect the Bay Area from Sauron and his legions of orcs (aka Stanfurd fans — but that’s pretty close). Instead, they will be upholding the tradition of the Berkeley Repertory Theatre, a world class leader in dramatic performances.

The Shakespearean-trained Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard) are performing Harold Pinter’s “No Man’s Land.” The play begins previews Aug. 3, opens Aug. 11 and runs until Aug. 31. After that, you’ll have to go to Broadway to see it.

The play itself is a pretty big deal and worthy only of actors of high caliber like McKellen and Stewart, who play the main roles. Tickets go on sale the weekend after finals, and starting at only $35 a ticket, all those students with no summer plans can finally say there is something to do around here.

Even if you can’t get a ticket, you might find yourself rubbing elbows with one of them at Chez Panisse or in the elevator of the Campanile. McKellen is known to love the Bay, and Stewart has said, “I am delighted to be performing at Berkeley Rep and look forward to living in and discovering the city and its surroundings.”

Who knows, maybe we should try and get the new chancellor to make them honorary Bears while they’re here.

Image Source: BinaryApe under Creative Commons

Contact Chase Schweitzer at [email protected]