5 things to enjoy if you’re home from school

5328018146_f05e9ac586

We know a lot of you Berkeley students are out there being productive, spending the summer doing internships and taking classes that will help you graduate early (as if you weren’t already an overachiever by coming to this school). But for those of you using summer as a vacation, even if only for a little while, we know there are some perks about being home that you can’t wait to take advantage of. Here are just a handful of the ones we can think of to enjoy:

1. Raid the fridge. We’re college students, so of course anything involving food is a top priority. Whether you were in the dorms or in an apartment, Berkeley doesn’t give you an entire fridge stocked with food free for the taking! Okay, so your mom might object if you eat the entire roast she was planning on serving for dinner, but the point is that you don’t have any roommate to watch out for — besides your siblings. And we all know fighting with them is an inevitable and necessary part of home life. Besides, you’re the college kid. Dig in to something that isn’t from Crossroads or the Asian ghetto and worry about their whining later.

2. Spend time in your room alone. We realize how creepy this sounds, but when was the last time you turned out the lights without having to ask your roommate if it was okay? Go to bed as early or late as you want, since there’s no second bed to be conscious of (pun intended). Want to sleep in ’til noon and dance around the room in pajamas? Go ahead. Your family might think you’re weird, but they’re stuck with you and probably have worse blackmail on you already. Revel in having a room to yourself, because before you know it, it’ll be back to sharing.

3. Forget about laundry. If you’re a good, helpful child at home, this one will probably baffle you, but all the typically lazy kids we know will understand it completely. Now that her baby is home your mom wants you to be able to relax and enjoy time with them! Say goodbye to having to buy more underwear when you don’t have time to do a load of laundry, because someone’s doing it for you. Well, at least for a few weeks. Then you better get your sorry butt up and start helping.

4. Watch shows on an actual television. We don’t know about you, but we’ve forgotten what TVs actually look like. We’ve all gotten so used to streaming all our entertainment online we forget that “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Breaking Bad” have times they air live! Now that school is out, you can sit back on the couch and pick up a remote rather than moving your mouse. Although, most shows have had their season finales already. So you might be kicking back for reruns of ‘I Love Lucy’ instead. But hey, it’s better than problem sets, right?

5. Spend time with your family. You’re only home for the food and free rent, of course. Obviously. But those strange creatures you call parents and siblings also deserve some attention. So do some of those fun summer activities with them. Go to the beach, watch movies, eat junk food and have some conversations with them that aren’t over the phone. You can balance it out with being a couch potato, we promise. You might miss them once the fall semester rolls around, so enjoy it while you can.

Have anything you’re particularly enjoying now that you’re at home? Let us know in the comments!

Image source: Willemvdk under Creative Commons

Contact Erum Khan at [email protected]