MGMT performs at the Frost Music and Arts Festival

Mackenzie Bedford/Staff

This past Saturday, the Frost Music and Arts Festival took place at Stanford’s Frost Amphitheater with MGMT as the headliner. Once we got past the fact that this was taking place at Stanford, we have to admit that it was a pretty cool experience. We thought that it was a great alternative for people who don’t have the funds or time to go to major music festivals like Coachella or Sasquatch. Overall, the festival made for a nice and relaxing day in the sun — even though we were surrounded by Stanford students.

The weather was a glorious 75 degrees without a cloud in the sky, and, as much as it’s a shame to admit, the fact that the amphitheater is made out of grass is pretty awesome. Outside the actual stage area there was a scattering of — let’s just call them interesting — art pieces in an attempt to make the festival as similar to Coachella as possible. Sparkles and face paint abounded, as did the shirtless bros who ended up lobster-red by the end of the day.

The first opening act, a band named Kuroma, tried a bit too hard to bring back the 1970s. Their music was all right, but the crowd of Stanfordites was entirely disinterested. Delorean, an electric/alternative band from Barcelona, was up next. They had a relaxing vibe, which was a welcome change from the previous act. More than two hours after the music began, MGMT finally took the stage. This led to a massive rush of the aforementioned shirtless guys, now sporting girls on their shoulders, to the front area close to the stage.

The music itself was pretty great — the only disappointment being that they didn’t play “Kids,” which left the crowd wanting. We suspect that MGMT didn’t play it because they were frustrated with the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd.  Although they haven’t released a new CD in over three years, there were new songs sprinkled throughout their set. And even though the music was occasionally drowned out by surrounding noises and conversations, the concert was still pretty awesome. But Berks would definitely do it better. Next year we should hold one at Hearst Greek Theater and show Stanford how it’s done.

Contact Mackenzie Bedford at [email protected]