Tunesday: Good (B)eats

Action-Bronson-Rare-Chandeliers1
Vice Records/Courtesy

This week’s post is wholly inspired by the fact that Action Bronson’s newest EP Saaab Stories (best album title of the year!) which comes out today and is otherwise dedicated to my undying love for food and rap. Whether these songs are actually referencing food is beside the point — I mean, I’m pretty sure Jay-Z and Kanye only have a fleeting interest in the lunchtime meat behind the oh so beloved Watch the Throne breakout track “H.A.M.” — these songs give us a chance to indulge in two very necessary pastimes on a little less serious note.

Action Bronson & The Alchemist – Eggs on the Third Floor

Action Bronson fulfills a holy trinity of greatness — he’s hilarious, he can rap and he loves cooking. His filthy good verses are laced with all kinds of delectable references, and every single one hits just as hard as the last. His earlier mixtapes, Blue Chips and Bon Appetit ..… Bitch!!!!!, as well as the latest collaboration with The Alchemist, Rare Chandeliers, are worth checking out as we pre-game for his newest material.

Asher Roth – Pabst & Jazz (Prod. Blended Babies)

I feel like Asher Roth often gets ignored because he’s been defined by his most successful hit, “I Love College.” Listen to his appropriately-titled 2011 mixtape, Pabst & Jazz, and you’ll quickly realize that the dude can rap. Whether or not you genuinely like drinking Pabst, this record is indeed a splendid union of jazz and rap that can and should be enjoyed this summer.

Outkast – Ain’t No Thang

“Ain’t no thang but a chicken wang” is the line that makes this track the perfect throwback to the record that brought you golden classics like “Rosa Parks,” “Ms. Jackson” and “So Fresh, So Clean.” I hope this track inspires you get outside and throw a hip-hop BBQ. (Yes, such a thing exists. There’s even a Pandora station for it.)

Big K.R.I.T – Lions and Lambs

Even though this song is actually making use of the metaphorical meaning of lions and lambs, it’s a heavy-hitter. The Mississippi rapper showcases the drawl and flow that make him a notable artist in the so-called “southern rap” genre in this critically acclaimed mixtape, Return of 4Eva.

Gorillaz – Superfast Jellyfish (feat. Gruff Rhys and De La Soul)

This fun track is off of the band’s third studio album, Plastic Beach. It’s filled with cartoonish sound effects and a quirky chorus and dialogue, but the flow is no doubt there. The album might take a little time to fully appreciate, but it soon becomes this whole arcade trip on acid that’s altogether pretty rad.

112 – Peaches & Cream

I’ll admit, this one’s the wildcard of the week — maybe we’ll call it the dessert course? Regardless, we all know that “Peaches & Cream” is everyone’s guilty pleasure. Despite being low-key and really, really dirty, the song has managed to become both a timeless summer jam and an instant hit on every dancefloor.

While my time binging off of Wi-Fi at Peet’s is limited, this list is by no means extensive. Notable albums worth returning to are Missy Elliott’s The Cookbook, Ludacris’ Chicken-n-Beer and the late, great J Dilla’s Donuts.

Contact Ashley Chen at [email protected]. Check her out on Twitter at @avivranthing.