5 summer gym routine reminders

7595808200_40d35d4314_c

Bam, it’s June. If you haven’t carried a water bottle and earphones while wearing sweatpants and exercising shoes at the same time, this probably means that your fitness thing isn’t working out so well. According to get-fit tradition, summer’s like Christmas. The idea is to work your buttocks off for what feels like forever to get exactly what you want. But, really. This is Berkeley. Sometimes the elliptical just has to step down to the almighty textbook. But if there’s going to be any crucial stepping stone to shaping the body you want, it’s about getting your a** to the gym. But no need to fret! If the all-too-public RSF has made your health goals seem like an impossible feat, the Daily Clog has some things you should keep in mind in order to get that routine going:

1. Build muscle & build confidence. Mental health is just as important as physical health. You could have the most bangin’ body in the world, but insecurity can wear down anyone. Confidence and personality are what reveals the true beauty that matters. Demonstrating your love for the skin you’re in shows strength and independence — qualities in any great person.

2. Does my butt look big? Who cares if you’re skinny? Equating that photo-shopped ultra-skinniness magazines create to beauty is a messed up social construction that fools people into believing that until we’re a size 2, we’re just not good enough. This is complete and utter bull$hit. Even for those who have inherited the magical always-thin gene, everyone’s body is different. You’re body is one of a kind — that’s why it’s so beautiful.

The real question is, do you want to live? Trust us, if you dedicate some time to fitness, you’ll be more than happy with your body. And look, the gym isn’t as miserable as you think. It can actually be pretty fun once you get used to it. And don’t fall for some two-step magical weight loss thing that was supposedly endorsed by Dr. Oz. We’ll break it to you now: It’s not going to work, and (most importantly) it’s probably not the healthiest thing in the world.

3. It hurts so good! Said no one ever. Well, maybe you know some people who’ve said this, but the idea is to keep pushing. The mind plays a significant role in exercising. It’s all about building stamina and can sometimes be seen as a question of how long can you keep pushing yourself. Set reachable goals every time, but make sure that they are motivating goals. And don’t worry if your body is a bit sore — that probably means that you’re doing something right. With every elliptical stride, step, sit-up, push-up or half-a-mile you run, remember that each moment of what feels like pain makes you stronger.

And as always, safety’s first! You’re probably not an award-winning Olympian, so make sure to take it easy with new gym equipment.

4. I can’t do it. Yes, you can.

5. Remember, you are beautiful. Before you assume that this next blurb is full of that inspirational crap you’ve heard before, really consider your beauty. So what if your milkshake didn’t bring all the boys to the yard? Though at times it may be hard to believe, take a minute to appreciate your friends, family, and that (currently non-existent or existent) special someone who would love you regardless of what you are. These are the people who matter.

When accomplishing your health goals, it’s important to remember that you’re doing this for yourself. Honestly, no one cares. At the end of the day, everyone’s pretty much concerned about themselves. If you’re looking to impress anyone, it should be yourself. Take pride in your small steps, no matter how tiny they are. Regardless of how hardcore you begin, you should be proud about making progress. Anyone can get healthy — that’s a fact. Determination, discipline and persistent belief in yourself can oftentimes do the trick.

Have any words of encouragement for gym newbies? Please share in the comments!

Image source: JAMES LORD productions under Creative Commons

Contact Karen Kwaning at [email protected]