Michael Kim wins prestigious Haskins award

golffeature.CHAN
Kore Chan/Staff

Cal men’s golf superstar Michael Kim has done it again.

The sophomore can now add “winner of the Haskins award” to the hefty list of achievements he has garnered throughout the season.

The Haskins Award — college golf’s most coveted accolade — is voted on by college golfers, coaches and members of the national media and given to the national player of the year in men’s collegiate golf. The Fred Haskins Commission announced on Tuesday that Kim was the 43rd recipient of the award and the first Cal men’s golfer to ever achieve such an honor.

“Voters have once again recognized an outstanding golfer and an equally impressive young man,” said J. Madden Hatcher, the commission president. “Michael Kim was the No. 1 player on the nation’s No. 1 team and certainly deserves to have his name added to the Haskins Award’s legendary list of past winners.”

Previous recipients of the Haskins Award have collectively won 28 of the elite Major Championships and more than 260 professional tournaments held around the world. Kim joins a list of top-notch golfers that includes Tiger Woods, Matt Kuchar and Phil Mickelson — all now immensely successful professional golfers.

Along with the award, Kim earned a sponsor’s exemption to play in the 2013 Greenbrier Classic, a tournament stop in the PGA Tour, from July 4 to July 7 in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.

“It’s unbelievable to think my name will be on the same trophy as Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and many others,” Kim said. “I can’t wait for the opportunity to play at the Greenbrier Classic with the very best players in the world.”

The Southern California native will add to a list of achievements that includes two other previously earned national player-of-the-year awards. Having consistently topped the Golfweek/Sagarin college rankings, Kim was named the Golfweek/Sagarin Player of the Year for 2013. He later picked up the Jack Nicklaus Award — presented by the Golf Coaches Association of America — which recognizes the top players at the Division I, II, III, NAIA and NJCAA levels.

But to Kim, the Haskins Award isn’t just another one of the many honors he has received throughout the year.

“I did win the Jack Nicklaus Award, but the Fred Haskins Award is different and unique in its own right because it’s voted by my peers, my coaches, the players and a few of the media people that follow college golf,” Kim said. “To be voted by your peers as having the best collegiate season is pretty special.”

According to Golfweek, the highly accomplished golfer boasts a No. 1 ranking to end his season. Kim’s consistency throughout the season with an unparalleled stroke average of 70.73 — the lowest in Cal history — ultimately led Kim to develop into this year’s top contender for the Haskins Award.

“This is further recognition of Michael’s tremendous season,” said Cal coach Steve Desimone. “I don’t think there’s anything question Michael has won this award, because they know he was the best player in college golf this year.”

Contact Janice Chua at [email protected].