Why all the hubbub for the royal baby?

9352533027_a94a9d7869

Unless you don’t have access to the Internet, a television or old-fashioned gossipy gawkers, you know that a baby boy was born to Prince William and Duchess Catherine on Monday, to the great excitement of the entire world. It seems like an awful lot of frenzy over a baby that is third in line to the throne of one country. (Well, if we want to get technical, it’s actually the Commonwealth Realm, but the average person only recognizes England.) And it’s a throne that, even once ascended, doesn’t really wield much more than traditions and pomp and circumstance. Whether you were waiting anxiously (as we were) to hear whether it would be a prince or princess or couldn’t have cared less, the information outbreak was impossible to avoid.

So why did the birth of just one little human being make it to the front of major news outlet like the BBC and the New York Times? It’s the fantastical nature of it all. It’s a real life prince — like the ones some of us dreamed of marrying or becoming when we grew up. It was released Wednesday that he has been given the moniker His Royal Highness Prince George Alexander Louis. We can feel the class emanating from that child already.

While the obsession with celebrities still baffles us, the mania over the royals far exceeds the collective confusion as to why someone would name their child North or Cricket. William and Kate don’t seem to just be another form of entertainment for the masses but rather embody more of a fairy tale come true — in real life. People don’t watch them to feel better about their own lives (in comparison to the train wreck of some celebrities) or to gawk at their extravagance. They genuinely seem like lovely and classy people who happen to be royal.

So the world stops in wonder and awe to celebrate — on an enormous scale — the arrival of the Prince George, because it seems to be right out of a storybook. While the reality of the world and of most of its leaders is that they only time they are really discussed in the media is in relation to what they’re doing right or wrong, this child is part of a long line that brings us all back to traditions and out of politics. The closest we come to such excitement is whether the Obamas will get another dog, but we know that in three years, there will be some other family whose pet ownership we’re concerned with. Even those of us in Berkeley who couldn’t be further removed from the effects of the royal line in London can feel the wonder at the birth of a boy who, if he turns out anything like his father, will become a real life Prince Charming.

Image Source: gem_106 under Creative Commons.

Contact Mackenzie Bedford at [email protected]