3 breakfast pastries from Sheng Kee that never go wrong

pineapple buns

The Sheng Kee Bakery on Telegraph has delighted people for months with its beautifully crafted Taiwanese breads, treats and desserts. I remember how I waited months for Sheng Kee to open. I was studying in a cafe when I heard that it was finally going to open, and I almost screamed. The opening day, I got there at 7:30 a.m. For the first two weeks, I visited Sheng Kee at least five or six times, and over the months, I have narrowed down a few favorites.

A classic that I have loved since I was a child is the pork sung bun. Pork sung is loosely chopped dried pork with a light and fluffy texture. The bakeries that make outstanding pork sung buns usually fill it to the brim, and Sheng Kee definitely does that. Their pork sung reminded me of a slightly sweet beef jerky but crispier and crunchier. What makes this particular pork sung bun stand out from the others is the puff pastry on top, which is similar to a very flaky croissant but with less of a  buttery taste and more of a slight cheese taste. The bun prompted me to think of potato chips with multiple flavors: the cheesiness of a cheese croissant and the savoriness of barbecued pulled pork, but slightly sweeter.

A new pastry that I recently tried is the peanut butter pineapple bun, which is a traditional pineapple bun with peanut butter and ground peanuts on top. Contrary to their name, pineapple buns don’t actually have any pineapple in them; the surface just has a  pineapple-like texture with its diamond grid-like formation. The slightly crumbly top tastes like milk with a hint of vanilla, similar to a less sweet creme brulee in bread form. The ground peanuts produce a nice contrast in texture against the soft pastry.

Something else that I usually buy there is the Asian version of garlic bread, which comes in a nice rectangular prism shape and doesn’t squish down easily. Somehow, Sheng Kee makes it taste even better than the American kind. The garlic and oil topping is still the same, but the texture of the bread changes everything. Once your teeth sink through the hard outside, they’ll reach the soft texture of Asian buttery white bread.

With Sheng Kee’s many choices, a breakfast stop for my usual peanut butter pineapple bun and pork sung bun always makes me happy. I look forward to trying every single Sheng Kee pastry and cake, and hopefully you will find your favorite here too. Sheng Kee is not only for those of us who are obsessed with Asian baked goods, but also for those who want to try Taiwanese pastries for the first time. So make a quick stop if you haven’t already. You won’t regret it.

Image source: John Loo under Creative Commons

Contact Annie Chang at [email protected]