Cal football to be featured on “The Drive”
Come September, fans will have an opportunity to get an inside look at Cal football.
Cal and Arizona State will be featured on “The Drive,” a new series that will air on Pac-12 networks beginning Sept. 11.
“The Drive” is similar to HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” which follows NFL teams during the offseason and gives viewers a closer, more personal look at the teams it covers.
The show will air in 14 30-minute segments each Wednesday of the season. The episodes will feature footage that ranges from practices to meetings and everything in between.
“This show will be a great chance for people to get to know our coaching staff and players and will provide a unique perspective on what happens with Cal football on a day-to-day basis,” said Cal coach Sonny Dykes to Cal Athletics. “The more people know about the way we run our program, the more proud they are going to be of Cal football.“
Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde suspended for game against Cal
Though Cal football’s 2013 schedule is one of the most difficult in the country, things just got the slightest bit easier.
Cal will not have to deal with Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde when the two teams meet on Sept. 14.
Hyde was recently suspended for “at least the first three games of the 2013 season,” according to Ohio State coach Urban Meyer.
Hyde’s suspension is due to an alleged altercation in a nightclub that led to a police investigation. Hyde will not be charged after police decided to close the case against him. However, he will still serve a suspension with the school for his conduct, which Meyer called “unacceptable.”
The 242-pound Hyde ran for 970 yards and 16 touchdowns for the Buckeyes last year and was the team’s leading scorer. He also missed last year’s game against Cal with a sprained MCL.
Though the news improves the Bears’ chances, it will still be a tall order to knock off the No. 2 team in the nation, especially when that team previously beat the Bears without their starting running back last year.
400 medley team disqualified at World Championships
Missy Franklin may have dominated, but things did not go so well for Cal alum Nathan Adrian at the FINA World Championships in Barcelona.
Team USA was disqualified from the the 400-meter medley relay on Sunday after Kevin Cordes took off 0.04 seconds early. Cordes is just 19 and was competing in his first World Championships ever.
The team put in a 3:30.06 time that looked like it would be good enough for first place. But the disqualification stunned Team USA and awarded France the gold medal with a 3:31.51 finish.
The kicker in all this is that the rules state that a swimmer is allowed a 0.03 second leeway — meaning Cordes took off just 0.01 seconds more than is allowed. In addition, the United States has never lost the 400 medley except when the team has been disqualified.
“That’s like a punch in the gut right there,” said Team USA coach Bob Bowman.
