Welcome Cal students!
To those new to the campus, we are delighted you have chosen to come to UC Berkeley and join the exceptional scholars, world-class researchers and uniquely talented individuals who make up our campus community.
Along with being students at UC Berkeley, you are now part of a diverse and renowned community — the city of Berkeley. Surrounding the campus are neighborhoods of renters and homeowners, families and single professionals, students and seniors. Many of your neighbors were once in your position — starting a new chapter of their lives in Berkeley. They are proud of their streets, gardens and homes.
The campus, the city of Berkeley and the local neighborhood organizations work together to promote safe and livable neighborhoods. Whether you live in campus housing, a co-op, a fraternity or sorority house or a private house or apartment, remember whenever you are out in the community:
• Don’t be shy. Take a moment to say hello and chat.
• Get involved. Attend neighborhood meetings and events, participate in local clean-up activities and support community safety efforts.
• Respect your neighbors’ needs and schedules and make smart choices — especially concerning noise and parties. Violations can result in stiff penalties, including fines and campus sanctions.
• Discuss potential conflicts with your neighbors. Ask for help if communication doesn’t work.
• Be the eyes and ears of your neighborhood. If you see something suspicious, it probably is. Call the police (nonemergency numbers for UC police: (510) 642-3333 or Berkeley Police Department: (510) 981-5900 and provide a good description of the problem and people involved. In cases of an emergency, call 911, or from a cellphone call 981-5911.
• More information and tips can be found at [email protected] (partysafe.berkeley.edu) and The Berkeley Project websites (www.berkeleyproject.org).
We encourage you to take advantage of the many cultural, social and recreational features Berkeley has to offer. This is a wonderful place to live and learn. Welcome to the neighborhood! Have a great year at UC Berkeley!
Tom Bates is the mayor of Berkeley and Nicholas Dirks is the chancellor of UC Berkeley.