Woman raped at gunpoint in People’s Park

A woman was raped at gunpoint in People’s Park on Sunday night.

According to a UCPD crime alert, the woman was in People’s Park when the perpetrator approached her from behind and forcefully moved her to a different location in the park. He then pointed a firearm at the woman and sexually assaulted her.

The victim, who is not affiliated with UC Berkeley, knew the suspect from prior contact and reported the incident, which occurred between 10 p.m. and midnight, to UCPD the following day. UCPD is actively investigating.

UCPD spokesperson Lt. Eric Tejada said he couldn’t recall a time when a rape was reported at People’s Park, although he acknowledged that the site has been a source of ongoing problems for UCPD officers.

The park “accounts for a lot of our calls,” he said. “It accounts for a lot of our reports (that) usually have to do with alcohol and drugs.”

Tejada added that a number of assaults and batteries are reported at People’s Park, but sexual assault is fairly rare. Tejada said four sexual assaults have been reported to UCPD so far this year, which he said is likely to have a total number on par with the reported in 2012. Six sexual assaults were reported to UCPD in the last calendar year, he said.

According to the UCPD crime alert, the suspect is described as:

A Filipino male in his early 30s, approximately 5-foot-8 in height, medium build with short black hair and dark-colored eyes.

Megan Messerly is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @meganmesserly.