Demonstrators prepare for Tuesday anti-intervention rally on Sproul Plaza

A group of UC Berkeley students stood outside Dwinelle Hall on Monday afternoon holding posters questioning the media’s presentation of the recent decision to bomb Syria. The demonstration was intended to garner support for the main protest planned for Tuesday at noon.
Carli Baker/Staff

With silver tape covering their mouths, about five demonstrators held up signs in front of Dwinelle Hall Monday morning in protest of proposed U.S. military intervention in Syria.

The protesters were apparently attempting to garner support for a larger protest scheduled for Tuesday at noon and passed out fliers asking students and other community members to join the rally.

“We invite you to question the war rhetoric that you hear,” the fliers read. “We invite you to question the underlying motives of the Obama administration.”

Last Tuesday, President Barack Obama announced that he will ask Congress to approve a military strike against Syria, where the governing Assad regime has been accused of using chemical weapons against rebels in the ongoing civil war. More than 100,000 people have died since the Syrian civil war broke out 29 months ago.

The demonstrators held black and white signs that read, “Are there more than these two options given to us by mainstream media?”

Sara Grossman is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @saragrossman.