Glamorama is a stylish show of acoustics and acrobatics

galaroma.sashachebil
Sasha Chebil/Staff

Few events besides Macy’s Passport Presents Glamorama can integrate such diverse performances as the runways of leading fall and winter collections and performances by Sheryl Crow, the Summer Set and even the acrobats of Cirque du Soleil. For the past 30 years, Macy’s has held Glamorama in different cities to raise awareness of and funds for the AIDS Emergency FundProject Open Hand and Glide Foundation, ultimately raising more than $30 million since its inception.

The evening started with a literal bang with the Cirque du Soleil show, which turned into rhythmic stomps and clangs that coincided with the movement of juggled and tossed tennis balls. The precision with which the central showgirl simultaneously threw and caught the flying balls was mesmerizing but did not compare to the acrobats’ second set. When the acrobats returned to the stage, they further impressed the audience as they balanced in contortions on ladders that managed to remain upright. The set came to a grand finale when one performer inverted himself atop a ladder, which was balanced on the head of another performer, who was himself standing at the top of a ladder.

Then came excitement for the fashion enthusiasts. First, Tommy Hilfiger presented a collection of typical clean-cut outfits, including knee-high socks, blazers and argyle prints. Coinciding with the fall runways, Hilfiger swapped black for navy, a key color for wardrobes this season that was prevalent in several other lines of the evening. His collection also focused on layering, which later appeared in the Impulse and Maison Jules lines.

Instead of layering preppy basics, Macy’s brand Impulse blended bohemian and attempted rocker styles, featuring bright colors and bold patterns beside distressed leather jackets and black-and-white color-blocking. Although Impulse worked to emulate the current grunge trend, it struggled; models were left wearing fluorescent tights and animal prints with plaids and leather.

Tallia Orange presented a line composed solely of men’s tailored suits, frequently accessorized with a bow tie. Appropriate for fall, the hues remained in the cayenne and brown scheme, only straying so far as black. Rachel Roy’s garments for the season were mainly gold and black, which she topped with floppy hats and beanies and paired with textured tights.

The Summer Set, a pop rock group that won Macy’s iHeartRadio Rising Star contest, broke up the fashion show with their performance. The group, which played this year at the Vans Warped Tour, offset their boy-band vibe with female musician Jess Bowen on drums.

MaxMara brought a black-and-white collection and, like other designers, used touches of red in its monochromatic looks. MaxMara implemented the prominent trends of the evening as well in its fur, plaids and pleated skirts. These models brought a more serious presence to the stage as they stood under umbrellas, which shielded them from the virtual storm. Calvin Klein also showed a black-and-white collection with elegant silhouettes. The designer also revealed pleated skirts paired with chunky knits and touches of fur.

Diesel, on the other hand, shied away from the clean looks of the season, dressing its drool-worthy chiseled models solely in underwear. The applause for the Diesel models equaled that for the final performance by Sheryl Crow, who is still on her A game after 30 years of performing.

The collections shown at Glamorama reflected the trends presented on the runways of New York and London this year in their focus on plaids, pleats, fur and a subtle color scheme of navy, white, red and the forever present black. With the dynamic combination of fashion, music and circus performances at one event, Glamorama turned the Union Square Macy’s into an entertainment spectacle.