Parts of Tilden Regional Park to close temporarily for construction

Tilden_Velaski
Katherine Velaski/Courtesy

Several areas of Tilden Regional Park will be closed to the public between October 2013 and February 2014 due to maintenance work to improve the safety and efficiency of the Tilden Nature Area, according to an East Bay Regional Park District press release.

Areas that will be closed for the duration of the project include Tilden Little Farm, Indian Camp and Big Leaf picnic area. The Environmental Education Center will remain open, but its hours will be restricted to 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from Tuesday through Sunday.

Some trails may have detour signs or be closed altogether to visitors, the press release states.

The development plan is a part of a fund approved by 72 percent of voters in Alameda and Contra Costa counties in 2008 under the Measure WW bond. Some of the $500 million provided by the bond extension will go toward modernizing the sewage system of the park, including removing abandoned tanks and installing a pump control panel.

The measure, named the “Regional Open Space, Wildlife, Shoreline, and Parks Bond Extension,” aims to preserve and extend the East Bay’s natural parks and wildlife areas.

According to the press release, the nearly $1 million project will enhance the security of the sanitation services for visitors. The nature area, popular among UC Berkeley students, is a 2,079-acre regional park in the Berkeley Hills.

Contact Giacomo Toginini at [email protected].