American Horror Story returns with “Coven”

FX_AHS_ImageGallery_0000_24

I’m already screaming out of excitement and fear because the third season of American Horror Story, Coven, comes out this week and it is expected to be wilder and more terrifying than ever before.

Two years ago, American Horror Story released its first season, American Horror Story: Murder House and the entire TV-watching world had a collective nightmare, locked their doors, and threw away all their weird latex bodysuit sex toys. The first season was groundbreaking: AHS brought horror back to television in a way unparalleled by any other television show. The combination of jump-out-of-your-seat terror, outright genius humor, and amazing acting — much to the credit of Jessica Lange — made AHS stand out amongst the assembly line of television shows.

If you’re new American Horror Story, this is how it works: every season is a stand-alone story but the cast more or less remains the same. If you haven’t watched the first two seasons, it doesn’t matter: you can dive right into the third season without having missed a thing.

Nonetheless, a quick return to AHS’s past two seasons: the first season was centered around a family living in a haunted house in which every previous tenant had been murdered in some gruesome way; the second season took place in an insane asylum where an ex-Nazi doctor tortured and murdered patients, a cruel nun devoted herself to saving her patients from evil and homosexuality, and a serial=killer named Bloody Face skinned his patients alive.

In preparation for Coven’s premier, FX has released a series of thirty to sixty-second teasers that are more or less nonsensical but still give a chilling preview of the mood we can expect from this season of American Horror Story. Most clips are soundtracked by Lauren O’Connell’s chilling take on “House of the Rising Sun” as haunting clips of women marching in witches hats, half-beast-half-man creatures, voodoo-dolls and witches being stabbed with pins, flash across the screen.

From the few full-length trailers released, this is what you can expect from Coven: this season bounces between an 1800s slave plantation and a modern-day New Orleans where a war is being waged between witches and voodoo people (no, not the song by The Prodigy although that would be kind of cool if they threw The Prodigy in there somewhere).

Much of AHS’s previous seasons’ cast will return: Taissa Farmiga will play a young Floridian girl who is sent to a witches academy in New Orleans called Miss Robichaux’s Academy for Exceptional Young Ladies and Jessica Lange will play Fiona Goode, the head witch the academy. We will also be seeing the familiar faces of Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, and Evan Peters.

AHS is bringing an exciting cast of newcomers: Emma Roberts will play Madison Montgomery, another young witch at Miss Robichaux’s academy; Kathy Bates will play Madame LaLaurie, a slave owner who was known for torturing her slaves with unbelievable cruelty, and Angela Bassett will play Marie Laveau, queen of the voodoo practitioners. It should be noted that both Bates’ and Bassett’s characters are based on real-life people — as if AHS wasn’t scary enough!

If you aren’t already excited, go sit in a dark room, draw some pentagrams, and listen to the theme song over and over and over again. The scratching and booming will get you in the mood for another horrifying season of FX’s American Horror Story.

American Horror Story’s third season, Coven, is set to air on Wednesday, October 9 at 10 p.m. on FX.