Cal women’s golf prepares for Pac-12 foes at Edean Ihlandfeldt Invitational

It is no small challenge to play against your archrival and the No. 1 team in the country. Coming away with a victory seems almost impossible. The Cal women’s golf team will try to beat the odds when they travel to Washington to play in the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational.

The invitational is taking place Monday and Tuesday in Sammamish, Wash., at the Sahalee Country Club. It is being hosted by the University of Washington, which was ranked No. 1 in the country by GolfStat earlier this week. This tournament is especially important to the Bears, as they will be playing a number of Pac-12 teams, including Washington, Colorado, Oregon and Stanford. The Cardinal are coming into the tournament ranked No. 11 by GolfStat.

Cal will be playing superior opponents, according to these polls, and will have to play very well to secure a victory against the tough competition. The team, however, has plenty of reasons to be confident going into the event. The Bears were ranked nationally for the first time since the beginning of last season this week. Cal is ranked No. 17 and No. 25 in the nation by GolfStat and GolfWorld/WGCA, respectively.

The Bears are also coming off a first-place finish at the Ptarmigan Ram Classic in Colorado, which took place in early September. The win contributed to their new ranking, as they won the tournament with a nine-stroke lead. It was also a historic day for Cal in individual play, as junior Nicola Rossler (73-71-69, 213) finished the event with a score of 69, which tied her best Cal career score. Rossler ended the tournament in second place, which was a team best. Additionally, sophomore Carly Childs (73-72-70, 215) had the best tournament of her college career. Childs finished in fourth place at one under par.

Only time will tell whether Cal can rise to the challenge in historic fashion once again.

Alaina Getzenberg covers golf. Contact her at [email protected]