Second Sunday Streets event to occur on Shattuck Avenue

On Oct. 13, Sunday Streets will come to Berkeley again. Instead of the usual cars and buses, pedestrians, cyclists, skaters and dancers will fill Shattuck Avenue.

Sunday Streets will be held on a nearly two-mile stretch of Shattuck, spanning from Haste Street to Rose Street. A number of organizations are hosting activities, which range from chess games to yoga sessions, and several bands and dance groups are scheduled to perform in the area.

The event will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Because the street will be closed off, a number of bus lines have scheduled detours and added temporary stops.

The event will be the second Sunday Streets to be held in Berkeley and aims to draw residents from their homes to connect with the community. Originally inspired by Sunday Streets San Francisco, the event was initiated by an organization called Livable Berkeley.

Livable Berkeley worked in conjunction with other organizations to schedule companion events for the day. The North Shattuck Association is hosting a Vine Street Block Party in the Gourmet Ghetto, and the Downtown Berkeley Association will be hosting an event on Center Street called Downtown Eats, Beats and Brews.

According to Livable Berkeley chair Eric Panzer, last year’s Sunday Streets drew a crowd of about 42,000. This year, he hopes to exceed that.

“We encourage anyone and everyone who wants to be involved to get in contact with us, and hopefully we can find a place for them in our event,” he said.

Contact Tahmina Achekzai at [email protected].