Cookie Butter is the new Nutella

cookiebutter
Erin Alexander/Staff

So I’ve got a new obsession. It’s called cookie butter. Now I’m sure you’re probably thinking to yourself, how could a cookie possibly be transformed into a decadent jar of spreadable goodness? To be honest, I don’t know how Trader Joe’s, the manufacturers and (stop me if I’m going to far) the geniuses behind cookie butter, make it happen. All I can say is that I’m glad they found a way. Since the moment a friend turned me to the product, it’s all I seem to be eating in my spare time, spreading it on slices of toast, brownies, other cookies, or taking a spoonful (or two) straight out of the jar.

What is cookie butter exactly? Cookie butter is very much akin to peanut butter, sharing a similar consistency and color. The rich gingerbread flavor actually comes from the so-called “Speculoos cookie”, a crunchy Belgian cookie that is accented with a hint of caramel. One of the most important, and difficult, decisions you’ll confronted with concerning cookie butter is whether to buy it smooth or crunchy. If you really can’t decide, just do what I did and get both. The smooth is creamier, and in my opinion better for spreading on other foods. The crunchy contains bits of the crushed Speculoos cookie and is ideal to eat on its own.

Take my advice: head over to the Trader Joe’s on University and MLK (or on College) and dish out the $3.69 for a jar of Speculoos cookie butter, a small price to pay for an infinite amount of calorie-induced happiness. Who knows, cookie butter just might replace Nutella as your go-to spreadable indulgence.

Contact Erin Alexander at [email protected].