BART management and unions reach compromise, ending strike

BART management and workers unions compromised on key points of dispute in an agreement reached late Monday night, ending a four-day strike that stranded hundreds of thousands of Bay Area commuters.

The unions won a 15.4 percent raise in the four-year agreement, which would push union workers’ average annual salary from $76,500 to $88,300 by 2017, according to the San Jose Mercury News. The exact terms of the deal are not yet public, but the Mercury reports that a notice sent to members of the Amalgamated Transit Union confirmed these details.

The raise is more than 3 percentage points higher than BART’s last offer before the strike and only half a percentage point less than unions asked for before the strike.

BART management scored some concessions as well, including changes to work rules and the ability to introduce new technology more easily, which was problematic for BART leaders in previous years.

Additionally, union workers will begin contributing a portion of their salaries to state pensions, paying 1 percent of salary in the first year and 4 percent in the last year of the contract. BART will grant a 0.72 percent pension swap — money added to the base wage — for each percentage point workers contribute to their pensions, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

Workers will also see rising health care payments. The monthly payments will increase from $92 to about $130, according to union officials.

Workers received significant safety upgrades in the agreement as well, including bulletproof glass in 15 station agent booths. Additionally, flexible scheduling will be offered to station agents to address the concerns of those working late at night and during early morning hours, the Chronicle reports.

Sara Grossman is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @saragrossman.