Ephraim Lee’s Picks of the Week

Picks_Summit-Entertainment_Lionsgate
Summit Entertainment/Lionsgate/Courtesy

“Psycho” with the San Francisco Symphony

In a season so saturated with sinister behavior and shamelessness, perhaps a touch of class is needed. On Wednesday, the San Francisco Symphony will be accompanying Alfred Hitchcock’s classic horror movie “Psycho.” Despite being an auteur, Hitchcock gave the soundtrack 33 percent of the credit for what made the film such a masterpiece. Experience the shrills and shrieks through a live orchestra.

Fear Overload Scream Park

This is a haunted house that has been rated one of the top 13 in all of the United States by Hauntworld. It is just about an hour away by BART and features not just one but two houses to get your heart racing. Even better — it is open through Nov. 2. Bring a friend to use as a meat shield.

“Ender’s Game”

The sci-fi epic novels by Orson Scott Card finally get an onscreen adaptation, and the trailer looks pretty promising (or perhaps the name Harrison Ford just automatically wins the favor of a sci-fi enthusiast). The cast has more Oscar nominations than Leonardo DiCaprio and definitely more wins. Soak up that hangover you’ll probably have on Friday with some popcorn.

Brass Tax 6:66 Halloween Party

Of course, what is most important this time of year is a party. Here’s the catch with this one: The location is unknown, except that it is somewhere in the East Bay, and members of the Brass Tax mailing list will receive it prior to the event Sunday. The party is free but requires an invite, and people will be dancing from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Contact Ephraim Lee at [email protected].