2 taken to hospital with minor injuries after cooking canister explodes in front of Dwinelle Hall

dwinelle_baker
Carli Baker/Senior Staff

Related Posts

Two individuals were taken to the hospital with minor injuries after a gas cooking canister exploded in front of Dwinelle Hall on Wednesday night.

The explosion occurred about 8 p.m. during a Haunted Carnival event sponsored by the campus Asian American Association. The canister was being used to cook food at the event, according to numerous witnesses.

UC Berkeley sophomore Megan Porter, who was selling grilled cheese sandwiches at the event for the campus organization FeelGood Berkeley, said she heard a split-second explosion and saw a fireball a foot or two wide from the corner of her eye.

A 10-year-old child reported back pain, and an adult sustained minor burns on the arm, according to UCPD Chief Margo Bennett, who was at the scene. She said neither injury was serious.

Sara Grossman is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @saragrossman.