Cal running back injured in altercation with teammate

Cal football running back and UC Berkeley freshman Fabiano Hale was injured after an altercation with one of his teammates at the Simpson Center adjacent to Memorial Stadium on Friday, UCPD said Tuesday.

A member of the sports medicine staff helped check a player into the Tang Center’s urgent care facility as soon as possible after the altercation, Cal Athletics said in a statement released Tuesday, prior to football head coach Sonny Dykes’ weekly press conference. The player, whom police identified as Hale, was later moved to Alta Bates Medical Center, according to UCPD Lt. Marc DeCoulode.

An entry in the UCPD Daily Activity Bulletin shows that police were notified at 8:09 p.m. Friday of a battery at the Simpson Center, although the incident occurred before 5:30 p.m.

DeCoulode declined to name the second player involved in the incident.

“We’re still doing the investigation and talking to people,” he said, adding that seeking prosecution is largely up to Hale.

In its statement, Cal Athletics affirmed that it is cooperating with “an investigation into an incident involving members of our football team.”

“There has been a lot of misinformation reported today that does need to be addressed,” Cal Athletics said in the statement. “Once fully advised of the situation, a Cal physician, coach and administrator each contacted the player’s family prior to the family’s arrival at the hospital.”

Cal Athletics said it is still in the process of gathering information and will make no further comment until the investigation is complete.

The incident occurred after a workout involving players who do not travel with the team, DeCoulode said.

Contact Megan Messerly and Michael Rosen at [email protected].