Report shows 52 percent of first-generation high school grads taking ACT do not meet college readiness benchmarks

Picture of someone taking a standardized test like the SAT
Alberto G/Flickr/Creative Commons

Approximately 52 percent of all 2013 first-generation high school graduates who took the ACT exam did not meet any of the ACT College Readiness Benchmarks, according to a report released Monday.

Only 9 percent of 2013 ACT-tested first-generation high school graduates met all four of the benchmarks, which measure the minimum score needed for a 50 percent chance of obtaining a B or higher or about a 75 percent chance of obtaining a C or higher in corresponding first-year college courses.

Of the 335,711 first-generation high school graduates who took the ACT in 2013, 42 percent met the benchmark in English, 24 percent in reading, 22 percent in math and 17 percent in science. The percentage of ACT-tested first-generation high school graduates who meet each benchmark has declined since 2012 in every subject except science, which saw a 4 percent increase.

On a brighter note, the report also reveals that nearly 94 percent of these students hope to earn some form of postsecondary degree.

The report, “The Condition of College & Career Readiness 2013: First-Generation Students,” was released by ACT Inc., the organization that administers the test, and the Council for Opportunity in Education, a nonprofit organization that aims to give low-income and first-generation students a chance to prepare for, enter and graduate from college.

Contact Adrianna Dinolfo at [email protected].