Outkast to reunite at Coachella 2014

outkast
Sean Davis via Creative Commons/Courtesy

What’s cooler than being cool? Other than “ice cold,” an Outkast reunion at Coachella 2014 just might fit the bill. Rumors of the reunion were essentially confirmed Tuesday by media outlets, as well as by those more closely acquainted with the duo.

By the time the festival rolls around in April, the performance will be the group’s first in a full decade since its controversial appearance at the 2004 Grammys in support of acclaimed double album Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. But even this record basically divided Outkast’s work between the album’s two discs. After the release of the soundtrack for the band’s film “Idlewild” and a brief collaboration with UGK, Andre 3000 and Big Boi went their separate ways.

But recent days have heard some promising remarks from Big Boi. While safely noncommittal, his words seem to hint that a festival reunion may be only the beginning. In addition, Andre put out some surprisingly genuine sentiments in his verse on the appropriately titled T.I. song “Sorry” (e.g. “This the type of shit that’ll make you call your rap partner / And say I’m sorry I’m awkward, my fault for fuckin’ up the tours”).

The vibe in the Outkast camp lately has been one of burying the hatchet and hitting the road again. So for those looking for a reason to make the pilgrimage to Indio for next year’s Coachella, look no further. Outkast is back. Pretty much.