Berkeley City Council to discuss final 2 redistricting maps

At its meeting Tuesday night, Berkeley City Council is set to take its first of two votes to adopt an ordinance that will adjust the city’s district boundaries to create a student-majority district.

The City Council will consider the Berkeley Student District Campaign, an ASUC-sponsored map proposed in 2011, and the United Student District Amendment, which was introduced this summer.

Some students raised concerns when they recognized that three residence halls on the east side of campus, along with International House and some Berkeley Student Cooperative houses on Northside, were not included in the BSDC map.

The USDA map includes the previously omitted housing units but does not include part of Southside that would have been incorporated into the BSDC map.

Measure R, which passed during the November 2012 elections, allowed for the amendment of the existing city charter to eliminate the 1986 boundary lines and used major traffic arteries, natural geography and communities of interest as boundaries to redefine Berkeley’s district lines.

Follow @tcchurley for more updates about redistricting.

Daphne Chen is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @dchen_dc.