UC Berkeley students robbed near Willard Park early Saturday morning

Two men — one armed with a gun — robbed two UC Berkeley students Saturday at about 12:30 a.m. on Derby Street near Willard Park.

The students, junior Byron Zhang and sophomore Carissa Lee, were walking to the park to meet friends and watch a meteor shower when the men approached them from behind.

Zhang recalled one of the men pointing a gun and saying, “Give me all your shit.”

When Zhang tried telling the men his possessions would not be useful to them, one of them jabbed him repeatedly in the stomach with the gun.

The unarmed man stole Lee’s purse, which contained her iPhone and wallet. The two men then approached Zhang, who hesitated. Lee, who is one of Zhang’s housemates, told Zhang to comply with the men.

Zhang carried a Pentax DSLR camera, two lenses, a tripod, a laptop, an iPad, Sony headphones, a TI graphing calculator and study materials, all of which were stolen. He was planning on taking photos of the meteor shower.

Zhang said one of the men smacked him across the face with his tripod.

The two men sprinted to a brown or rust-colored two-door car and sped away, according to Berkeley Police Department watch commander David Frankel.

Zhang, whose phone and wallet were hidden in his jacket pocket and were not stolen, called the police. Two BPD officers arrived within five minutes and attempted to track down Lee’s stolen iPhone.

Frankel said the men have not been apprehended.

“We walk around in a bubble with all our stuff exposed, just our wallets and phones sometimes,” Zhang said. “But people in the surrounding area, that’s more than they can ever afford.”

Zhang and Lee never ended up watching the meteor shower.

According to BPD, the suspects are described as:

Suspect No. 1 — A Hispanic male in his early 20s, 5-foot-7 in height, about 175 pounds, wearing a gray sweatshirt and baggy jeans.

Suspect No. 2 — A Hispanic male in his early 20s, 5-foot-7 in height, about 175 pounds, wearing a gray beanie cap and light-colored shirt, carrying a black handgun.

Kimberly Veklerov is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.