Two men attempt armed robbery at People’s Park

A 48-year-old man, unaffiliated with the campus, was the victim of an armed robbery attempt in People’s Park Saturday afternoon, according to a UCPD crime alert released Monday.

Two men were seated at a picnic table on the west side of the park, when the victim sat down at the other end of the table. At around 4:30 p.m., the men approached the victim and demanded his property. One of the men pointed a semi-automatic handgun at the victim’s face. When the victim tried to stand, the two men wrestled him to the ground.

The victim yelled at bystanders for assistance, and the two men left the scene when bystanders started to respond. Officers from both Berkeley Police Department and UCPD searched the area but did not locate the men.

According to the crime alert, the suspects are described as:

Suspect No. 1 — A black male, mid-30s in age, 5-foot-6 in height, about 165 pounds, with a medium build and dark complexion, wearing a black beanie cap, black leather jacket and black shoes, carrying a dark-colored semi-automatic handgun.

Suspect No. 2 — A black male, mid-30s in age, 6-foot-2 in height, with a medium, stocky build and light complexion, wearing a tan leather jacket with a gray hooded sweatshirt underneath.

Kimberly Veklerov is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.