Five ways to get around the Bay Area, but especially to In-N-Out

Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 7.56.38 PM

Traveling to places that aren’t on Telegraph or Shattuck, like In-N-Out Burger, is difficult. We know. But there are some different ways to get around. We here at the Clog have figured out the best modes of transportation to use to get to any location you want, primarily In-N-Out. Here are five of the best ways to get to the closest In-N-Out, analyzed for time and price (you’re welcome).

4978229641_dd13cd41d8_z

1. BART

Obviously, we Berkeley students are used to taking BART almost everywhere. To take solely BART straight to an In-N-Out, though, you’ll have to dedicate some time, because the easiest one to get to only taking BART is in Millbrae. You can go right from Downtown Berkeley to the Millbrae Station on the Richmond-Daly City/Millbrae line and then an In-N-Out is across the street. This will take you about an hour, however, and cost you $10.20 round trip.

2. Bus

Now, if you want to try to take only the bus, it’s possible. But fair warning: It will take you a while. The easiest In-N-Outs to get to in this case are the one in Oakland and the one by Fishermans’ Wharf, because you can take buses right out of Berkeley (free of charge, might we add) and then transfer once you’re in either SF or Oakland (for only $2.50).

5558031844_8f1d2b1488_z

3. Zipcar

If you already have a subscription to Zipcar, this might be your best option. Considering that the closest In-N-Out is only about nine miles north (20 minutes away), if you decide to rent a small car for an hour or two with some friends, you will be paying about $10 or $20 all together. Not too shabby.

4. “Lyft”

You have to have the app and an account, but after that, this ride-sharing service is supposed to be a “social experience.” If there’s a driver in the area, he or she can pick you up and bring you anywhere, while having a nice little chat. Technically, “Lyft” doesn’t even charge — the money that you pay is a “donation,” so the app will give you a recommended amount, starting with a $2.50 pickup fee, $1 safety fee, a ride fee based on time and distance, and from there, you can increase or decrease how much you want.

5. “Uber”

Also an app and account needed, this is supposedly the more upscale version of Lyft. When you have log on, you can see Uber cars driving on a map around you and reserve on to come pick you up — they abound in the Bay Area, too. The price will depend upon the category of the car that gets you (small, mid-size or SUV) and where you go, but there are plenty of coupons for college students, so it shouldn’t be out of control. Of course, that all depends on how much In-N-Out you decide to get.

Image sources: goodiesfirst,  RJ Schmidt

Contact Holly Secon at [email protected]