1. Sochi, Russia, is hilariously ill-equipped to host a massive international congregation. Read Drew Magary’s primer on how to properly hate on the crazy-pants Russian infrastructure and the TV event that will shortly take over your life.
2. Be the most cultured person at your Oscar party! Impress your friends by knowing your favorite live-action short film of 2013. The Academy Award nominees for Best Live Action Short Film are playing at Shattuck Cinemas this weekend. You can see all five films in one sitting. They come from all over the world — Finland, Denmark, France, Spain and the United Kingdom.
3. Depending on your age or music preference, Skrillex has been either blasting eardrums and causing earthquake panics or eliciting eargasms to screaming/sweaty/smiling fans this past week during his six shows in the Bay Area. The streak culminates Saturday night as Skrillex and A$AP Rocky get “wild for the night” at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium.
4. IT IS SF BEER WEEK! In case you don’t know what this means, or if you think every week is beer week, check out the online schedule of events. There are beer-related events all over the Bay from Feb. 7 to 16, including a Beer for Breakfast PJ Party on Feb. 9 on Fourth Street.
4. The California Academy of Sciences has free admission Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. This museum has a living roof, so we don’t really need to say more other than that there are only four free admission days each year, so don’t miss this one.
Contact the Weekender editors at [email protected]