Cal women’s basketball snaps two-game skid with 70-65 win over Washington

Cal's Reshanda Gray shoots against UCLA on Jan. 26.

Reshanda Gray is back.

After struggling against Stanford in the Cal women’s basketball team’s last two games — going scoreless in the first and notching a mere seven points in the second — Gray recorded 20 points and 12 rebounds to propel the Bears to a win over Washington on Friday, 70-65.

No. 23 Cal (15-7, 7-4 Pac-12) took on the Huskies (12-10, 5-6) at 8 p.m. Friday in Seattle. The squads entered the game on very different trajectories, with Washington hoping to ride the momentum of two big wins over UCLA and USC, whereas the Bears entered hoping to stem a two-game skid suffered at the hands of No. 3 Stanford.

The Bears got the win, largely due to Gray’s double-double performance. The teams were neck and neck from whistle to whistle: The largest lead was eight points, and there were 12 lead changes. Both teams shot about 55 percent from beyond the arc, with Cal hitting nine of 16 and Washington nailing 11 of 20. The Bears did hold an edge in rebounds, besting the Huskies 43-34 with Gray and forward Gennifer Brandon contributing 12 each. Junior Brittany Boyd also contributed with 14 points, nine assists and nine rebounds.

The Bears went into the half with a 35-31 lead, but the second half continued to be a game of tug of war with both teams vying for the advantage. The Bears led 68-65 with a minute remaining, but even then, the Huskies would not surrender without a fight. Their efforts were to no avail, and Boyd made it a two-possession game when she hit two free-throws with less than a second left to secure the win for Cal.

Taylor Brink covers women’s basketball. Contact her at [email protected]