Having sex, eating and other ways to avoid the flu in Berkeley

6510548459_b5de67558d

You know it’s coming. Various flu strains are floating around, getting you sick right before the semester becomes really difficult. Plus, reports of a possible measles outbreak made us officially worried about getting sick. Though the health posters in dorm bathrooms contain very helpful tips on how to avoid the flu, we at the Clog have more practical ways of not getting sick.

1. Don’t eat CREAM at 3 a.m.

We know it’s tempting and we know it’s one of the joys of being a UC Berkeley student, but don’t eat ice cream late at night when you know it’s chilly. CREAM opens up at 12 p.m. You have the whole day to stuff your face with ice cream and cookie goodness.

2. Drink alcohol

We know what you’re thinking: “I like this post” and “I can do that.” But wait — there’s a catch: You can’t drink too much. A study done at UC Riverside actually revealed that “moderate drinking” boosts your immune system, especially the antibodies that fight the flu.

3. Eat right

We know it sounds cliche, but eating right makes a huge difference. Vegetables and fruits boost your immune system, which helps you fight the cold and suppress flu-like symptoms. So just put some broccoli on that pizza slice you have every week.

4. Don’t go to a party without a jacket — cover yourself

If you’ve been in Berkeley for a week, you know how quickly the weather can change. We’ve all experienced the pleasure of leaving for class on a scorchingly hot, sunny day and coming back two hours later drenched from the pouring rain.

5. Have sex.

No, we at the Clog don’t only think about sex; this advice is based on actual facts. A study done about 15 years ago revealed that those who have sex once or twice a week actually had a 30% chance of not getting the flu, compared to those who didn’t have sex at all.

Image Source: featured image